The original building dates from 1920. In the 1980s it was modernised by Gino Valle to make it the New York headquarters of what was then Banca Commerciale. In 2006 aMDL was appointed to design the reconversion of the property from a multi- to a mono-tenant operation, where Italian taste would be conspicuous. The twelve floors are occupied by management, staff and customer meeting rooms. The complete redevelopment concerned all floors except the first, where the original hall and entry vestibule were restored.
Among the alterations implemented were: the renewed distributive layout, the finishing of floors and ceilings, of the glass partitions and of the boiserie, the furniture, the elevator landings, the restructuring and direct connection of the top two - eleventh and twelfth - levels to accommodate events and to be equipped with a new multimedia room, a double-height space and a business lunch space. On the outside, the building’s façade was equipped with a nocturnal lighting system.
aMDL Architetto Michele De Lucchi Srl - Michele De Lucchi
Alberto Bianchi (project leader), Simona Agabio, Giorgi Khmaladze, Laiza Tonali
2006-2009 design; 2010 completion